The Technical Director is responsible for managing sound, stage, and lighting equipment for performances taking place at Payomet Performing Arts Center and in the community.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Payomet is an equal opportunity employer. Payomet is committed to providing a work environment free from all forms of discrimination including gender, age, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, ancestry, and marital status.
About Payomet Performing Arts Center
Payomet Performing Arts Center is a volunteer-driven, non-profit performing arts organization located at Highlands Center, an abandoned air force base, in North Truro, MA on beautiful Cape Cod. We are committed to sustainable growth in order to remain true to our core mission: to produce exciting professional live music, theater, circus arts, and humanities events with social impact. Our artistic decisions are informed by the eclectic tastes of our Outer Cape audience. Payomet programming is embedded in core values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and can be described as “outside the box and inside the community.”
Application Deadline: Applications welcome until position is filled
Position Type: Part-time, seasonal. May-October 2023
Reports to: Executive Director
Compensation: $30-$40/hr, Commensurate with experience.
Schedule: Flexible schedule, Monday-Friday, including night work, weekends, and holidays.
Housing: Payomet has some housing options for early applicants who commit to a term of 10-12 weeks.
- Responsible for facilitating and/or managing lighting, projections, stage and sound equipment and infrastructure before performances take place.
- Determines the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs, necessary for events and performances presented at the facility in advance of production dates.
- Designs, sets up, maintains, and operates lighting and sound systems for theater, dance, music, circus, and other productions and projects
- Advises production managers, lighting and sound designers, on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for the individual show, and supervises the implementations of approved technical designs.
- Supervises and assists with set and stage construction and management.
- Assists in recruiting, training and assignment of volunteer or paid technical staff for individual shows.
- Orient facility renters and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations; facilitates the use of the technical facilities by the resident company and others engaged by or renting the facility.
- Monitors the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; arranges for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; performs preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Assists with the preparation and control of production budgets; maintains inventory and orders specialized supplies.
- Attends technical week rehearsals, in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of the show.
- Makes recommendations to the Executive Director regarding capital purchases of technical equipment
- Maintain a reliable system for providing technical support for all programs and events
- Monitor audio and mixing as well as audio recordings throughout productions
- Oversee proper lighting as predetermined in team production meetings
- Ensure all productions are distraction free and technically well-supported by various support roles
- Produce technical drawings and communicate with scene supervisors to determine the effectiveness of planned processes
- Recruit and train exceptional employees to fulfill required positions within the technical field
- Update and maintain all production technologies ensuring proper maintenance and installation
- Keep detailed and reliable records regarding warranties and licensing agreements
- Degree in technical theater OR minimum of 3 years’ experience in technical theater production
- Detailed knowledge of video transmission displays and projection techniques
- Strong project management skills, particularly focused on managing schedules, scope and cost trade-offs of projects
- Composure and ability to lead with confidence and calmness when faced with competing high-priority projects and difficult decisions
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing stage rigging and engineering as well in the installation of technical equipment
- Interpersonal skills required when working with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels within the organization
- Experience with the automation of technical processes in relation to stage and production management
- Must have reliable transportation and housing
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and flexibility with unusual projects.
- Personal qualities of integrity, open-mindedness and dedication to the mission of Payomet.
- A can-do attitude and sense of urgency with energy and enthusiasm to be part of a team and an organization.
- Passion for the arts and a desire to achieve equity for all.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus!
How to Apply
To apply, email your cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to email@example.com with “Technical Director” in the subject line. The cover letter should include relevant experience, how you became aware of the position, and any direct experience you have had with similar positions and organizations. No phone calls, please.