Payomet Performing Arts Center is a volunteer-driven, non-profit performing arts organization located at Highlands Center, an abandoned air force base, in North Truro, MA on beautiful Cape Cod. We are committed to sustainable growth in order to remain true to our core mission: to produce exciting professional live music, theater, circus arts, and humanities events with social impact. Our artistic decisions are informed by the eclectic tastes of our Outer Cape audience. Payomet programming is embedded in core values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and can be described as “outside the box and inside the community.”
Equal Opportunity Employment
Payomet is an equal opportunity employer. Payomet is committed to providing a work environment free from all forms of discrimination including gender, age, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, ancestry, and marital status.
Application Deadline: Applications welcome until position is filled
Position Type: Part-time, Seasonal Spring and/or Summer 2023. Flexible start date. Must be available nights and weekends.
Compensation: $19/hr. Mileage reimbursement.Housing*: Payomet has some housing options for early applicants who commit to a term of 10-12 weeks.
*Please note that this position will require reliable transportation and housing.
Payomet is located within the Cape Cod National Seashore. Our venues are primarily outdoors, undercover, in a large tent. The applicant will be working frequently outdoors in a natural setting during the warmer months.
- A basic understanding of production work and principles
- An interest in performing arts and non profit work
- Interest in the arts & culture of indigenous peoples and First Nations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organizational skills and the ability to complete tasks on time
- Ability to take initiative on assigned projects
- Ability to multitask and balance multiple projects at once
- Willingness to ask questions
Responsibilities May Include:
- Assist with Sound Checks
- Event facilities crew – Light physical labor such as assisting with load-in and set-up for big shows, including moving chairs, sweeping, light painting, care and clean-up during and after shows, etc. Clean, casual attire is our norm but for certain shifts, appropriate apparel might resemble rugged work clothes
- Assist with hospitality for music artists for shows
- Assist with Circus Shows
- Traveling with touring circus artists, setting up and breaking down for regional standouts
- Set up of show 2 hrs before doors open – sound, set, props, rigging assistance etc
- tech during show – running sound and light cues, rigging changes, some supporting role
- strike of show
- We might also need you to help out with odd jobs like tweaking a set piece (carpenter work), upgrading performance space (small paint or handyman jobs). Editing audio files and whatever other skills you would like to bring to the table.
- General admin assistance w/ marketing, development, programming and operations department
- General office support: Input data, record information, photocopy, assist w/ communications
- Provide support to staff at events
- Assist with all aspects of running concessions at shows
- Box office support
- Assist office staff on research projects
- Social media support
- Online calendar postings
- Postering/street team
- Marketing support at events (email sign-ups, raffle ticket sales, table representative, swag sales, photography, etc.)
- Usher as needed (most shows are g/a)
How to Apply
Email your cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to email@example.com with “Payomet Intern” in the subject line. The cover letter should include relevant experience, how you became aware of the position, and any direct experience you have had with similar positions and organizations. No phone calls, please.